Monday, July 7, 2008

Getting ready for the Olympics - Knitter style!

In 2006, The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, started the Knitting Olympics in conjunction with the 2006 Winter Games in Torino. The Knitting Olympics will be held every 4 years, just like Winter Games.

Well, on Ravelry there are a group of knitter/crochetrs holding a "Ravelympics" (that link will only work if you are a member of Ravelry.com) in conjunction with the 2008 Summer games in Beijing. I joined. :) I am a member of Team Oz and will be participating in the "Sock Put" event.

I am going to be knitting my very first socks ever, using a green, yellow, and white self-striping yarn. This is very special (and cool) to me for many reasons:

1) My sock pattern is from the Yarn Harlot, the founder of the Knitting Olympics. (It's actually called a "Sock Recipe" and you can find it in her book Knitting Rules or on this "Knitty Gritty" episode.

2) The Yarn Harlot knits a lot of socks. She takes pictures of her sock-in-progress as she travels, sometimes getting other people to hold the sock in the picture. It's a great honour to hold said sock. She takes pictures of people with their first knitted socks at her speaking engagements. (See her website to see what I mean.)

3) Green and Gold are the national colours of Australia. Since this is my first Olympics in Oz, I wanted to commemorate the event.

4) I bought the yarn from a fellow Raveler who was looking to "destash". She bought the yarn from a fellow Raveler's Etsy website. (The colorway is called "Rainbow's End".) Ravelers helping Ravelers... very cool. :)

Now, I just have to wait until the Opening Ceremonies to start... and for my yarn and size 2.5mm DPNs (from Knit Picks, of course)to get here!

No comments: