Wednesday, December 10, 2008

S'mores

It has come to my attention that Australians may not be familiar with S'mores (aka smores) mentioned in my previous post.

A S'more is a delicious treat, usually had while camping. The name comes from asking to have "some more".

Take a Graham cracker (similar to a digestive biscuit, but not quite the same) and place a square of chocolate on it (typically a piece of a Hershey bar - Like I said, my mom saves all the little Hershey Special Dark Chocolate bars from the mixed miniatures bag to make her s'mores.) Place a toasted marshmallow on top of the chocolate. Top with a second Graham cracker. Squish down a bit and enjoy!

If you at home and/or don't have a campfire, just stack all the ingredients together and microwave for a couple of seconds.

Oh, I have noticed that Australian marshmallows taste different from the ones I am used to in the US. US marshmallows are "fluffier" than their denser Australian counterparts. I haven't yet tried a S'more made with Aussie marshmallows, but it shouldn't be too different.

Oh, here's an update on my crocheted smore. All the crocheting is done. I just need to get beads for his eyes, stitch him a mouth and attach the 2nd Graham cracker.
Crocheted S'more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute! Or maybe said down there, "Good on ya, mate!"

Amy, I hopped over to your blog after reading your request on ravelry.

I'm praying for your dad (and you) this day.

Hey, I also used to live as an American in Melbourne - about two decades ago. Prior to that, I lived in Perth (as an exchange student after high school).

What a delightful country! And Melbourne is truly a charming city. My mom and I lived in a young girls' and women's hostel - St Marys' something-or-other. My mom was a professor on sabbatical in Australia, and I just went there during my college years to take a break and work there (various jobs).

ENJOY, mate (or as pronounced Down Undah - mite)!